The Academy of Senior Health Sciences, Inc. (formerly The Ohio Academy of Nursing Homes, Inc.) seeks to provide public education and awareness initiatives to the long-term care community in Ohio. Our membership represents a true cross-section of the skilled nursing facility profession, from small sole proprietorships to larger Ohio-based multi-facility companies, as well as those businesses that service our industry. Through our public education and awareness efforts, the Academy brings the collective influences of the members together into a single voice on vital issues affecting our profession.
Founded in 1966, the Academy then identified one of its core purposes as "To foster a spirit of goodwill among those persons engaged in the nursing home industry, to promote ethical practices in their relationships with each other, their employees, and the general public to the end that all interests may be served fairly..." Though the organization has undergone several transformations over the years, most notably in 2011, its dedication and commitment to Ohio's most frail and elderly remains the same.
| The Academy Weekly Headlines from 2 Weeks Ago|
Providers notified they can bill for enhanced Medicaid vent rate
The Ohio Department of Medicaid has notified The Academy that they have been notifying providers that applied to participate in the alternative payment model for nursing home residents on ventilators that they can begin billing for services. The notice should read as follows and was emailed to the individual who supplied the application:
"(Facility name) has officially been set up in MITS with the ability to bill at the enhanced rate of $640.03 per day. To bill, please use revenue code 419 for vent days in the same manner as billing for bed-hold or waiver days. The effective date for fee-for-service Medicaid is February 1, 2017. The effective date for all managed care plans including MyCare is April 1, 2017. Please remember to notify your hospice providers of the enhanced rate in the event you have a ventilator-dependent hospice individual. Sometime in March, you will receive a spreadsheet to track data for the quarterly report – the beginning date of the quarter is April 1."
Registration open for OANAC/ASHS Spring Conference April 07!
The Ohio Association of Nurse Assessment Coordinators (OANAC) and The Academy of Senior Health Sciences (ASHS) invite you to attend our 2017 Spring Conference! From PEPPER reports to survey preparedness, the conference will help keep your organization on top of the latest assessment topics. The conference is in Columbus on April 7 at the Quest Conference Center. Earn up to 4.75 BELTSS CEs (ASHS-27-P-17) for as little as $110. But register soon as rates increase April 1! Click here to register online today.
CMS approves DODD HCBS waiver changes
From the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities: "The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) approved the amendments to the Level One, Self-Empowered Life Funding (SELF), and Individual Options (IO) Waivers this week.
The changes will be effective April 1, 2017 and include the following:
See the waiver amendments or read the approval letters from CMS."
- New adult day waiver services were added to all waivers, including Career Planning, Individual Employment Supports, and Group Employment Supports.
- Changes were made to the Adult Day Supports and Vocational Habilitation services in all waivers to include new service definitions and the availability of rate modifications when certain criteria are met.
- Budget limitations for adult day waiver services and Non-Medical Transportation services were increased within all waivers.
- A new Money Management service was added to the IO and Level One Waivers.
- Changes were made to the SELF Waiver that including changing the billable units for Community Inclusion – Personal Assistance from hourly units to 15-minute units, allowing this service to be billed at ratios for people who share services with others, and eliminating the $25,000 sub-cap for adults enrolled in SELF.
- Click Here to read The Academy Weekly in PDF format